As any music artist or band can sell music online, more music is getting streamed or sold through digital providers. Consumers prefer listening to singles more than full albums. This trend has made it easier to sell music and make money online.
So, let us see how you can sell your money on prominent music stores and streaming services and earn money.
Why Should You Choose the Right Music Distribution Service?
Looking at the global revenue of the industry, it is quite clear that digital music has the highest potential to derive sales in the business.
- 50% of sales are obtained from digital revenues
- 34% of sales are obtained from physical format sales such as vinyl, CDs, and cassettes
- 14% of sales are obtained from performance rights such as radio, shows, stage shows, concerts, and more
- 2% of sales are obtained from Synchronization revenues generated from movies and ads
MusicDigi is a renowned digital music distribution service that makes it convenient to sell ringtones to millions of smartphones worldwide.
What Is the Right Way to Get Your Music Online?
To be able to sell your music online, you need to have a good strategy. The below strategy will help you make the right move.
Think About Your Position as A Music Artist
Look at the available options. The online distribution of the music online greatly depends on who you are i.e., a musician, record label, manager, or a band. It also depends on what stage of career you are in and what is your geographical location.
- Online digital distributors assist smaller labels, independent musicians, and businesses.
- Content aggregators assist businesses and labels that have already released music in the past.
- Direct to Fan service enables an artist to either sell or stream music directly via free music platforms such as Soundcloud/Bandcamp or through their website. However, this service doesn’t offer enough traffic to your website.
Target the Right Geographical Location
It is also important to figure out where your fans are located. Globally, the majority of people use Spotify, Amazon, and iTunes. Online music distribution platforms let you sell your music on iTunes, YouTube, Google Play, Apple Music, Pandora, Amazon, Spotify, Tidal, Deezer, and more.
The Type of Music You Make and Knowledge About Your Fans
Another important thing that you should consider is the type of music that you make and the type of music fans you have. This is essential because leading music stores offer services for specific genres. So, do your research to get the best benefit from their service. Digital music aggregators put your music on Tidal and make money in simple and easy steps.
How to Choose an Online Distribution Service?
Make A Strategy
Get your songs on Spotify and all others where your music fans hang out online regularly.
Identify the Best Digital Distribution Platform
Once you have created your song/album, find the right platform for its distribution to put music on Apple Music. Some of the best choices are:
Select them based on their services and pricing scheme. A majority of online distribution platforms charges fee in below forms:
- a fixed fee per album/single
- an annual fee
- a percentage of record sales (10% to 25%).
Based on the pricing plans and conditions of the distributor, plan your budget carefully.
Make the Music Searchable
Artists should provide metadata that is a short description of their music. It includes:
- artist name
- title (of the single or music album)
- the release date
- track titles
- record label
- composer information, and
- artist bio
Marketing of music is very important for better visibility and more sales. Set a realistic budget for its promotion. Some of the ways that you adopt to get your music to as many ears as possible are:
- Put previews on Instagram, SoundCloud. Etc.,
- Play a show in the music studio and live to stream it
- Use word-of-mouth promotion,
- Organize a radio play,
- Conduct live shows,
- Add it on blogs, etc.
Digital distribution is one of the direct routes to your fans and earns money from your music. Creating a strong social media presence, and a powerful digital distribution track record can get you increased visibility, better shows, and negotiating power. Implement it right and soon you will start making a decent income from it.