Speech Therapy is a kind of therapy required to assess and treat communication problems or some kind of a speech disorder. This is basically performed by SLP’s (Speech Language Pathologists). These SLP’s are well educated and have knowledge about human communication, its development and its disorders. Often, they are known as speech therapists.
For us readers, let us first understand why do we need such therapists?
Well there are many individuals (adults or kids) who have these communication problems and find it difficult to convey their messages to the other person. These problems usually occur in kids at early childhood and for adults, it is caused due to brain injury or stroke. Speech therapy is one of the most effective methods to solve these disorders.
Eastside Speech Solutions located at Eastern Suburbs of Sydney is a vibrant private speech pathology. They help in changing lives of many individuals by helping them communicate better. Their services include providing speech therapy for adults, toddlers and preschoolers, stuttering therapy, therapies for school children and children with special needs, literacy, spelling, reading and many more.
How does the speech therapy work?
Initially, the speech therapist will first identify what kind of a communication problem or the speech disorder does the student have. They will try to understand what is causing this problem and help to resolve it.
Various problems with speech include:
- Articulation problems: This is when the person can’t pronounce the word properly. They make errors in sound.
- Fluency problems: Here the person can’t speak fluently and will stutter or clutter.
- Resonance problems: This is when a person has some blockage or obstruction in the nasal or oral airways that alters the vibrations responsible for the voice quality.
- Receptive problems: This is when the person has problems to understand what the opposite person wants to convey.
- Expressive problems: Here the person has problem to express themselves. They are not able to form accurate sentences.
- Cognitive-communication problems: In this case, the person finds it difficult to communicate due to some brain injury
- Aphasia: It is when the person is not able to understand what the opposite person is speaking. This is caused due to brain stroke.
- Dysarthia: This is when the person speaks slow or slurred as he is not able to control the muscles of the tongue. This happens due to facial paralysis.
As these sessions would start, the therapist usually would take one to one session, classroom session or with some small group. They teach their students through some activities, exercises and many more such things which help them to learn and enjoy at the same time.
The amount of time taken for these sessions depends on the age of the person, his problem, severity of this disorder and any other medical conditions.
These therapies have helped many individuals specially kids who start these therapies at the early age. However, then they would require their parents or caretaker’s involvement as well in this case.